Itinerary Santillana del Mar - Comillas
The route of 22 kilometres on this stage does not involve any difficulty. The only drawback for the pilgrim on foot is the excessive presence of asphalt.
Santillana del Mar (km. 0). Beginning of stage
Practical tips for this section: At the exit of Santillana del Mar you will not find signage for the pilgrim path. Buen Camino!
We start the day by heading to Plaza Ramón Pelaya, where the Town Hall is located. From there we take Calle de los Hornos, next to the Post Office, and if we change direction we arrive next to a campsite, from where we can enjoy beautiful views over Santillana del Mar.
We cross the regional road AS-474 and a few metres later, we take an asphalt track, descending to the nearby village of El Arroyo (km. 2,6).
Leaving a chapel on the left that sits on the hillside, we descend along a track to Oreña (km. 3.8), in the municipality of Alfoz de Lloredo.
By a track on the left, we head to the Church of San Pedro, located at the top. Following another path, and without changing direction, we descend to Caborredondo (km. 6). We then cross the neighbourhood, pass over the CA-131 road and arrive at a house known as La Solana.
Here, we turn right, by a track that runs downhill and that leads us to Cingüenza (km. 8,6), where we are greeted by the Church of San Martín de Tours.
Cingüenza (km. 8,6).
Practical tips for this section: After the Church of San Martín de Tours, we can follow the official route that enters the town of Cóbreces or follow the road, avoiding the detour. Buen Camino!
After visiting the church, we return to the road, this time the CA-353, which we continue to the right, until we reach the entrance of Cóbreces (km. 11.8).
At this point, the pilgrim path deviates to the right to go down to the lower part of the town and then go back up to the same road, next to the Church of San Pedro Advíncula.
Bordering the church walls, on our right, we leave the town. 700 metres later, we take a left turn, almost 180 degrees, and take a dirt track that runs downhill.
We continue for one kilometre, crossing a lush oak forest, and we arrive at the CA-356 road, which we continue along until we link with the CA-131 road, next to the Venta de Tramalón restaurant.
We follow the CA-131, towards Comillas, for 100 metres to leave it by a small path starting on the left. We go along this for another 100 metres and turn right to take another paved track.
At a cemetery, we continue to the left by the road, passing next to a campsite, first, and later, arriving at the Church of Ruiloba (km. 17,6).
Iglesia de Ruiloba (km. 17,6).
Practical tips for this section: Although the road described here continues to be signposted, the official route was modified in 2017 and now goes down to Luaña beach, then crosses Trasierra and Liandres before reaching La Iglesia de Ruiloba. Buen Camino!
After the church, we take a street on the right that goes to the youth camp and we go on to the local road, which we continue uphill to Pando (km. 18,6), where we are welcomed by the Church of San Roque and where we will find the Convent of the Barefoot Carmelites.
We continue following the route of the road to Concha (km. 19,6), here, we turn left to advance along its Calle Mayor, flanked by rural houses. At the end, we take a paved road, coming from the left.
We advance for 100 metres along the road, then turn back to the left and continue along another track, which ends up transforming into a dirt road.
We descend on this track to the CA-131 road, which then leads us to the entrance of Comillas, our destination for today. A road that starts on the left, in the direction of the sports centre, takes us into the centre of the town.
Comillas (km. 22). End of stage
Practical tips for this section: Perhaps after so many days of intense visits you will feel tired and want an afternoon of relaxation.
We understand you perfectly, but missing the opportunity to visit Comillas would be a shame. Tomorrow we will end up in a quiet town where you can rest. See you tomorrow!
In Comillas, you can visit modern buildings such as the buildings of the Universidad Pontifical de Comillas or El Capricho de Gaudí and other classic spots such as Torre de la Vega and Palacio de Sobrellano.
In the town, you can also visit the churches of San Adrián de Ruiseñada and San Cristobal, as well as the façade of its cemetery and the Pantheon Chapel. Also of interest are Parque Guell y Martos, where you will find the Monument to the Marquis of Comillas, the port and the Fuente de los Tres Caños.
What to do Santillana del Mar - Comillas
Throughout today you will pass various places of interest. Below we give you information about each of them.
Abadía de Santa María de Viaceli
The Abbey of Santa Maria de Viaceli is located in the centre of the village of Cóbreces. The monastery was built in the early 20th century at the request of Antonio and Manuel Bernaldo de Quirós so that it could be inhabited by the monks of the Cistercian Order. The abbey is considered the first Spanish construction fully constructed in reinforced concrete.
Today it is inhabited by Trappist monks, who are dedicated to the craftsmanship of Trapa Cheese, which is well known in Cantabria.
Cueva de las Aguas
Cueva de las Aguas, also known as the Cave of the Saints, is located in the forest of the village of Novales. The small chamber was declared a site of Cultural Interest in 1997 because of the cave paintings and engravings that it houses inside.
The drawings date back to the Magdalenian period and depict bison, a deer and a horse.
Iglesia de San Martín de Tours
The Church of San Martín de Tours is to be found in the village of Cigüenza, in the municipality of Alfoz de Lloredo, at the foot of the Camino de Santiago. The temple dates from the second half of the 18th century and was built by order of Juan Antonio de Tagle - Bracho.
Its design was made taking as reference the Church of the Capuchins of Lima, from which it has colonial Baroque influences. In 1992, the temple was declared a site of Cultural Interest.
Its structure consists of a single nave, made entirely of masonry stone.
The nave is topped with a quadrangular-shaped apse under which are two chapels with rococo-style altarpieces. The 18th-century main altarpiece, with hardly any polychrome, stands out in the interior.
Iglesia de San Pedro
The Church of San Pedro is located in the town of Alfoz de Lloredo. The temple was built between 1891 and 1910 and has a very pronounced neo-Gothic style.
The building was the work of Pedro José de Villegas Ruiz, who was inspired by different Gothic constructions such as Erfurt Cathedral. The church stands out for its striking red colour and the large towers on its façade.
Monasterio de San José
The Monastery of San José is located in the village of Ruiloba, a few kilometres from the town of Comillas. The complex was built in 1877 at the request of the priest of the town, Don José Ruiz Pomar, to give shelter to the Order of the Barefoot Carmelites.
Today, this community is dedicated to the creation of decorative elements made from porcelain.
The monastery has a purely Baroque architectural style, with the exception of its façade, which has classicist influences.
Hours: Eucharist, Monday to Saturday (8:15) and Sunday (9:00). Liturgy (7:00, 18:45 and 22:00).
Comillas is located halfway between San Vicente and Santillana del Mar, all of them are places that must be visited.
The town has just over 2,300 inhabitants and is known for the Universidad de Comillas, which acquired its name from the town, before being transferred to Madrid.
The old buildings of the University are still preserved in Comillas and, together with El Capricho de Gaudi, give the town a modernist character.
In the town, you can visit the churches of San Adrián de Ruiseñada and San Cristobal, as well as the façade of its cemetery and the Pantheon Chapel.
Regarding its civil architecture, Torre de la Vega and Palacio de Sobrellano stand out. Also of interest are Parque Guell y Martos, where the Monument to the Marquis of Comillas is to be found, the port and the Fuente de Tres Caños.
Universidad Pontificia de Comillas
The Pontifical University of Comillas was built at the behest of Antonio López in 1890. It was originally a seminary for the training of future priests from all over Spain, the Philippines and Latin America.
Over time, the increase in its activity involved the construction of adjoining buildings such as the major and minor seminaries, the Spanish-American College and the Colegio Maximo.
In 1968, after 75 years of academic activity, it was decided to move the university headquarters to Madrid, which still remains the property of the Cantabrian Government.
Today the complex consists of the buildings built between 1880 and 1964, which are divided by a huge church.
The building is distributed around two interior patios and its open façades stand out with small oval pools and made of brick and stone masonry. From the entrance of the building stands a harmonious staircase and the pontifical shield.
Currently, the facilities are in rehabilitation and you cannot freely visit its interior, but the roof of the building is highlighted, together with the bronze doors and various sculptures and paintings of artists such as Llimona, Llorens and Tamburini.
Opening hours: Monday to Sunday (10:00, 11:00, 12:00 and 13:00).
Admission: General (3,50 euros), under 12 years (free).
El Capricho de Gaudí
The Capricho de Gaudí is located in the town of Comillas, next to the Palacio de Sobrellano. The property dates from the end of the 19th century and its construction was carried out by order of Máximo Díaz de Quijano, brother-in-law of the Marquis of Comillas. The construction is considered one of the first works of real estate by Antoni Gaudí.
The palace is made of brick and stone; and stands out for being covered, in a large part, by ceramics, with plant motifs. Both its structure and the tower of the building have oriental influences.
Hours: Open daily. From 1 July to 30 September (10:30 to 21:00), from 1 March to 30 June (10:30 to 20:00) and from 1 November to 28 February (10:30 to 17:30).
Admission: General (5€), child ticket (7-14 years) or persons with disabilities (2.50€), children under 7 years old (free).
Torre de la Vega
Torre de la Vega, in Comillas, is Gothic in style and dates from the early 14th century, although since its construction it has undergone numerous renovations. Its construction was ordered by Garcilaso I de la Vega in order to make the port of Comillas more visible.
Parque Güell y Martos
Park Guell y Martos is the most notable public park in Comillas. Its design is the work of Lluís Doménech i Montaner. In the park several historically important buildings, such as the cemetery and the Pontifical University, as well as the monument in honour of the Marquis of Comillas are located.
Fachada del cementerio
Comillas Cemetery was declared as a site of Cultural Interest for its grandiose façade, formed by a half-point arch and covered by a gabled roof. The access cover is of wrought iron and is topped by different kinds of pinnacles adorned with crosses.
The mausoleums and tombs are the work of Domenech i Montaner. Of these, the most prominent is that of the Piélagos family. The most representative figure of the cemetery is the Exterminating Angel, by Llimona.
Fuente de Los Tres Caños
The Fountain of the Three Pipes was erected in Comillas, at the end of the 19th century, in homage to Don Joaquín del Piélago, as a token of gratitude to the great donation he made to bring water to the village.
The fountain is the work of Doménech i Montaner and features a modernist style, with a wide décor with plant and floral motifs. On this, a dolphin screwed into the central pipe stands out.
Iglesia de San Adrián de Ruiseñada
The Church of San Adrián de Ruiseñada is located in the town of Comillas. The temple dates from the late 15th century and consists of a single nave with a tower at the back.
From the outside of the church, the western door with a classic arched structure with an arch, supported by columns made with ashlars stands out. The temple features a straight apse and ornate corbels.
Mass time: 18:30.
Iglesia de San Cristóbal
The Church of San Cristobal was erected in the village of Comillas in 1648, after an argument between the people and the parish priest, in which the residents decided to build a new temple in this same place, for whose building they contributed their own money and work.
The church is in a mountain Baroque style and took almost two hundred years to be consecrated.
Mass times: Summer, weekdays and eves (20:00) and public holidays (13:00). Winter, working and eve (19:00) and public holidays (13:00).
Monumento al Marqués de Comillas
The monument to the Marquis of Comillas is located in the Park Guell y Martos. The monument pays homage to Antonio López y López, who was Marquis of the town until 1878.
The Monument is the work of Doménech and is composed of a peculiar pedestal shaped like a bow of the ship, the central column is adorned with maritime themes and bronze statues with symbols of the Antilles and the Philippines.
Palacio de Sobrellano
The Palacio de Sobrellano, in Comillas, is neo-Gothic with Venetian influences and was built between 1881 and 1888. Its construction was carried out on behalf of Antonio López, Marqués de Comillas, and the work was executed by the architect Joan Martorell.
The building has a spectacular façade covered in Carrejo stone and is composed of two floors. On the lower floor is the pantheon and on the top, the chapel, a polygonal floor and a single nave.
Inside, the property houses numerous furniture by Antonio Gaudí, as well as a large collection of sculptures and paintings, among which stand out that of Eduardo Llorens.
Next to the palace is a beautiful chapel in an English Gothic style that also houses modernist sculptures by Venancio Vallmitjana, Josep Llimona, Joan Roig and Agapito Vallmitjana.
Currently, the property is owned by the Government of Cantabria and functions as a museum and as the headquarters of the courses of the Comillas Foundation.
Hours: Closed On Saturdays and Sundays. Open Monday to Friday (9:00 to 14:00 and 16:00 to 18:00).
The Pantheon Chapel, in Comillas, was built by J. Martorell and Montells. Its structure consists of two floors, at the bottom is the pantheon and on the upper one, the chapel. From its exterior, the half-point arches and the ornamental elements such as the gargoyles all stand out.
Its structure consists of a single nave, surrounded by a gallery that separates the presbytery from the ambulatory. It houses two recliners and several benches designed by Antoni Gaudí.
Inside, it houses a wide variety of works of art such as the sculptures of Joan Roig and the paintings of Llorens and Masdeu, among others.
Hours: Closes on Mondays. Tuesday to Friday (9:30 to 15:30),
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays (9:30 to 17:30).
Admission: General (3€), under 12 years old (1.50€), children up to 3 years old (free).
Puerto de Comillas
The port of Comillas was built in 1716 and its expensive construction was financed, in large part, by the money donated by the locals themselves. In the past, it was defended by a fort with four artillery pieces and three gatehouses.
The town maintained the practice of whale fishing until the 18th century, which they went to in launches, from this very port, armed with harpoons. In the port is the fish market, a building constructed in 1942 and in a mountain style.
Its construction was carried out in an old mineral warehouse. Currently, fishing activity in the village is at a very low level.