Itinerary Los Arcos - Logroño
The seventh stage of the French Way is relatively long with frequent hills. But the reward today will be our entrance into La Rioja and the landscape characterised by countless vineyards, as well as our arrival to the beautiful city of Logroño.
Los Arcos (Km. 0). Beginning of stage
Practical tips for this section: We have 7.8 kilometres to go before reaching Torres del Río, and in Los Arcos as well as in Sansol (the town right before Torres del Río) we’ll find several bars where we can have an energising breakfast before setting off on this long stage. Buen Camino!
To start off today’s stage, we’ll cross through the Castilla gateway and cross the road and the Odrón River. After the last homes in Los Arcos, we take an agricultural path that runs parallel to the N-111 road. Three kilometres later, we find a sign that invites us to head off to the right (km 3.7).
Following the turnoff, we reach the San Pedro stream and the road that leads to Sansol, our next town (km 6.9). We leave this small town next to a villa, from where we can already see Torres del Río, our next destination.
We head up some steep streets and pass by the church of Santo Sepulcro to reach Torres del Río (km 7.8).
Torres del Río (Km. 7,8)
Practical tips for this section: During the next ten kilometres, we won’t find many towns along the way, so try to get what you’ll need before leaving Torres del Río. However, in Barranco de Cornava, there is usually a bar from Easter to October. Buen Camino!
After visiting its church and resting a bit to regain our strength after our walk this morning, we leave Torres del Río from the upper part of town. Its last streets give way to a trail that ends up turning into part of the NA-1110 road. Moving uphill, we cross the road and reach the hermitage of the Virgen del Poyo (km 10.5).
With the hermitage behind us, we head downhill once again to the NA-1110 road and follow it until passing the curve. Here we take a path that goes uphill to the secondary road that leads to Bargota (km 14.1).
We continue straight on the right for a hundred metres to reach the trail that will allow us to go down to the Cornava ravine. We descend the 125 metres that separate us from the bottom of the ravine, walking among pine and fruit trees. At the bottom of the ravine, we can see plots of lands with the geometric shapes of olive groves and vineyards.
At the bottom of this canal formed by water erosion, we continue to walk, paying special attention to the junctions. The trail ends up becoming the NA-1110. After another kilometre, we get off the pavement on the left and proceed parallel to the road to Viana.
Viana (Km. 18,3)
Practical tips for this section: Behind the hermitage of the Virgen de las Cuevas, we will find a fabulous area to take a break. A wooded space where you can hide from the heat with a few tables where you can sit and have a snack. Buen camino!
On the streets of El Cristo, La Pila, el Portal de la Trinidad, la Plaza del Coso and Calle Mayor, we reach the Los Fueros square, where we can find the town hall and the church of Santa María.
We move away from this town next to the Ricardo Campano school, following a trail that heads through gardens and also crosses the NA-7220. Shortly after, we cross the NA-1110 road and continue until reaching the hermitage of the Virgen de las Cuevas (km 21.1).
From here, we continue to make our away through grain fields for a little over a kilometre. When you get to a sign that says “Observatorio El Bordón, Laguna de la Cañas”, we turn right to enter a pine forest.
Once again we encounter the road and cross it. We continue on surrounded by another small family of pine trees until getting closer to the Ebro.
At this point we say goodbye to Navarre and prepare to enter La Rioja. A stone marker with an inscription indicates: “provincia de Logroño, es el límite entre una provincia y otra” (province of Logroño, the boundary between one province and another) (km 23.7). We thus begin to walk through the province of La Rioja towards Logroño.
Logroño (Km. 27,8). End of stage
Practical tips for this section: Logroño has many places of interest and is a very pleasant city to explore. Some pilgrim shelters allow you to spend more than one night or you can sleep in other types of accommodation where you have more freedom. It is worth spending an entire day or two visiting the city. See you tomorrow!
We enter Logroño on the stone bridge that crosses the Ebro River. After the crossing, we pass the roundabout and turn right on Rúa Vieja street, where the municipal pilgrim shelter is located.
The second largest city on the French Way offers us numerous attractions and places of interest. The city is rich in religious architecture, with the cathedral of Santa María la Redonda, the church of San Bartolomé and the church of Santa María del Palacio.
But it also has numerous examples of civil architecture, such as the castle of Clavijo, the Post Office building, the Parliament building, the Rioja Forum conference centre, the Marqués de Monasterio palace, the town hall square and the house of Mateo de Nuevas.
As for public architecture, in addition to the pilgrim’s fountain, which is located next to the church of San Bartolomé, and the bridge that we have just crossed, you can also visit the Matilde bridge, the Hierro bridge and the stone bridge.
There is no shortage of wineries in the city, some of which include: Calado de San Gregorio, Marqués de Murrieta, Darien, Campo Viejo, Ontañon and Marqués de Vargas. There are also several cultural places such as the La Rioja Cultural Centre, the La Rioja Museum, the Würth Museum, the Amós Salvador exhibition hall and the Bretón de los Herreros Theatre.
As for archaeological remains, we can find the “Cubo de Revellín” and the wall, as well as the ruins of the ancient Roman town of Vareia. And to relax in between visits, there is nothing like going for a pleasant walk through the La Granjera park or relaxing in the emblematic Paseo de Espolón square.
What to do stage Los Arcos - Logroño
On the seventh stage of the French Way, we will only encounter a few churches. However, Logroño awaits us at the end of the stage, a city full of cultural attractions. Below we’ve provided information on each of these places of interest.
Little is known about the origin of this small town. The first written document in which it is spoken of dates back to 1176. The name of the town comes from the patron saint of the San Zoilo parish, a martyr of Cordovan origin who was venerated in Navarre in the year 858.
The town began to slowly grow after it was established, reaching its maximum splendour in 1930 when it had 380 inhabitants. Since then, the population has only declined and it currently has around 100 residents.
In the town you can visit several Baroque palaces, the most prominent of which is the Palace of the Syndicate, made in ashlar masonry and decorated with coats of arms. The construction dates back to 1702 and its name is due to the fact that in the first half of the 20th century, the Catholic Agricultural Union had its headquarters in these facilities.
Torres del Río
Torres del Río is a small, charming town in which approximately 128 people reside. The town is formed by steep, narrow streets lined with Baroque-style mansions.
The church of Santo Sepulcro is a must-see, considered to be one of the greatest cultural gems of the French Way. You can also visit the parish of San Andrés from the 16th century, located in the upper part of town and built in a Renaissance/Gothic style.
Church of Santo Sepulcro
The church of Santo Sepulcro is located on Carretera de Torres del Río street. The building was constructed in the 12th century and its historical/artistic importance went unnoticed until the beginning of the 20th century.
They say it was the American author Goddard King who, during her pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, first noticed the value of this building. In 1931, the temple was declared a Spanish Historic Artistic Monument.
The parish, built in a Mudéjar Romanesque style, stands out due to its octagonal plan and the caliphal vault with eight crossed arches forming a star. It is one of the few churches on the Iberian Peninsula with this architectural style.
Hours: To go inside the church, call Mari Carmen (+666 988 255/+34 626 325 691) and check the visiting hours with her.
Admission: 1 euro.
Hermitage of the Virgen del Poyo
The hermitage of the Virgen del Poyo is located between Torres del Río and the town of Viana. Its construction dates back to the 16th century and it has a Baroque architectural style.
The exterior of the building is made of ashlar. The sections of the nave and the chevet, which are covered by a dome, belong to the original construction.
The interior of the hermitage is very marked by the reconstruction the temple was subjected to in the 19th century, which decorated the inside with paintings. The Rococo stable is worth noting, on which you can find the carving of the Virgen of Poyo.
This small town was founded by Sancho the Strong in 1219 with the goal of defending Navarre against Castile, although the city did not receive its title until 1630, the “Very Noble and Loyal City of Viana, Head of the Principality of the Ancient Kingdom of Navarre”.
There are currently a little over 4,000 people in the municipality distributed among small groups of houses. Following the French Way in the direction of Santiago de Compostela, Viana is the last town in Navarre. Here you can visit the remarkable church of Santa María and the church of San Pedro, although the latter is in ruins.
As for its civil architecture, walking along its streets you can see numerous houses with noble coats of arms, such as that of Añoa y Busto, on Rúa Santa María street. The town hall in the square is also interesting.
Town Hall of Viana
The town hall is located in the Plaza de los Fueros de Viana square and is the most prominent building in the town. It was built in 1692, although it was renovated in 2003 and 2004.
It has a French Baroque façade made up of several floors. The ground floor is formed by a set of arches with balconies above them.
Here you can find the tourist office, which is closed in Sundays. From Easter to mid-October, it opens in the morning (from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm) and in the afternoon (from 5:00 pm to 7:00 pm). The rest of the year it only opens in the morning (from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm).
Church of Santa María
The church of Santa María is located in Viana. It is a huge building in a Gothic style that was built between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 14th. In the 16th and 18th century, work was done to expand the temple.
The façade has a Renaissance style and was the inspiration for other buildings in the area. Next to it, the tomb of César Borgia is located.
Logroño is the second largest city on the French Way, with an area of 80 square kilometres and a population of just over 150,000 inhabitants. Much of the economic and urban development experienced by the city is due to its relationship with the Camino de Santiago.
Once King Sancho the Great had reconquered the territory, a new layout of the French Way was drawn at the beginning of the 11th century that crossed the Ebro River through Logroño. At the end of this century, Alfonso VI of León granted it the Charter.
Logroño is a city full of nooks and crannies, with many places of historical and cultural interest. The old town consists of small streets full of bars, such as Laurel street, Mayor street, Mercado street and San Juan street, which invite you to wander around and enjoy the local Rioja cuisine.
The city is rich in religious architecture, and you can visit the cathedral of Santa María la Redonda, the church of San Bartolomé and the church of Santa María del Palacio. But it also has a lot of civil architecture as well, such as the castle of Clavijo, the post office building, the parliament building, the Rioja Forum conference centre, the Marqués de Monasterio palace, the town hall square and the house of Mateo de Nuevas.
Regarding the public architecture, you can visit the pilgrim’s fountain, which is located next to the church of San Bartolomé, and the bridge of Matilde, the Hierro bridge and the stone bridge.
If you’re a wine lover, then you’re in luck, because Logroño has a plethora of wineries. Some of the wineries in the city that you can visit are the Calado de San Gregorio, Marqués de Murrieta, Darien, Campo Viejo, Ontañón and Marqués de Vargas.
There is also no shortage of cultural places such as the La Rioja Cultural Centre, the La Rioja Museum, the Würth Museum, the Amós Salvador exhibition hall and the Bretón de los Herreros Theatre. The recommended archaeological sites to visit in the city include the “Cubo de Revellín” and the city wall (both part of the city’s fortifications) and the ruins of the ancient Roman town of Vareia.
If you prefer going on a leisurely walk, you shouldn’t miss the Granjera Park and the emblematic Paseo del Espolón square.
Bridge of the Ebro in Logroño
The bridge that welcomes us to Logroño dates back to 1884, although it was built on the site of another structure from the 11th century. The work is attributed to Santo Domingo de la Calzada and San Juan de Ortega.
The Ebro River is one of the most important rivers in Spain because of its characteristics and because the source of the river is located in Spain and flows throughout the entire country.
Of all the rivers whose mouth is located in Spain, it has the highest flow (600 cubic metres per second). On the Iberian Peninsula, it is only surpassed by the Duero River, which flows into Porto. It is also the longest river in Spain (930 kilometres), the second largest on the Iberian Peninsula, after the Tagus River.
The river runs through the north-eastern tip of Spain in a northwest-southwest direction. Its origin is in Cantabria, and it crosses the north of Spain until reaching the Mediterranean, where it ends up forming the Ebro Delta.
Cathedral of Santa María la Redonda
The cathedral of Santa María la Redonda is located in Logroño. Until 1959, it had the status of a collegiate church, but on August 15th of that year, Pope John XXIII granted it the title of cathedral.
The temple has a Rococo façade and two towers from the 18th century on its sides, with the names of San Pedro and San Pablo. However, they are popularly known as “the twins”.
The main façade faces the square and has a large altarpiece made of stone, framed by Corinthian columns. The access is protected by a gate through which you can access the chapel of Santo Cristo.
The structured is crowned by a semi-dome. It displays representations in relief of the Four Evangelists.
Inside the temple, we are drawn to the image of the Tree of Jesse, represented on the main altarpiece in a Baroque style. The structure of the choir is composed of 24 tall seats with imagery and 22 low seats decorated with reliefs, which are the work of Arnao de Bruselas.
You can also find sculptures created by Gil de Siloé, Becerra, Juan Fernández Navarrete the Mute or Juan de Bazcardo. In the chapels of the side naves, there are several paintings exhibited along with the sculpture of the Holy Sepulchre.
Hours: Open every day. From Monday to Saturday (from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, and from 6:00 pm to 8:45 pm) and on Sundays (from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm, and from 6:00 pm to 8:45 pm).
Mass schedule: Weekdays (9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am and 8:00 pm) and holidays (9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm and 8:00 pm).
Calado de San Gregorio
The Calado de San Gregorio, located on Rua Vieja street in Logroño, is the largest of those that are currently still preserved. In the 16th century, it was customary to build “calados”, which is the name used to designate the underground cellars located under homes in the region.
The “calados” are constructions made in ashlar masonry that maintain the right temperature and humidity conditions for the fermentation and conservation of the wines that families produced for their own consumption.
Currently, the Calado de San Gregorio has been declared a heritage asset belonging to the city council and is considered to be an architectural gem of traditional wine culture. A unique feature of this calado in particular is the existence of a well that is seven metres deep.
Hours: Closed on Mondays. Tuesdays (from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm) and from Wednesday to Saturday (from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, and from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm).
Castle of Clavijo
The castle of Clavijo is located 15 kilometres from Logroño, in the town of Clavijo. One of the most interesting aspects of this site is that, according to the legend of Santiago Matamoros, it was here where the Apostle Santiago led the Christian troops on his white horse to defeat the Muslim army in the year 844.
La Rioja Cultural Center
The La Rioja Cultural Centre is located in the historic centre of Logroño. The building was constructed on the site of the ancient palace of the Yangüas, from the 16th century. What remains from the original building is the portal’s arch, the vestibule, the entryway, the stairwell, the roof, the “calado” underground cellar and the balcony.
Its façade is dominated by the presence of the figure of a large wine rack. Inside, the courtyard forms a large entryway and, at the same time, functions as a space for carrying out wine-related activities.
The courtyard is covered by a translucent structure, which adds a lot of natural light. The basement recreates a traditional “calado” underground cellar.
The objective of these facilities is to be a reference centre for La Rioja wine culture. However, it has also contributed to the rehabilitation of Logroño’s social and cultural life.
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +34 941 124 820
Hours: Closed on Sundays. From Monday to Thursday (from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm) and from Friday to Saturday (from 7:00 am to 1:00 am).
Cubo de Revellín and the Wall
The “Cubo de Revellín” is a fortress with a cubic structure that is located in Logroño and has been kept in perfect condition. Two sections of the old wall can be seen next to it.
Looking at the north façade, we can observe two different times of construction: the structure built in the 16th century and the part from the 17th century.
Inside, there is a documentary exhibition on the history of the fortress that protected the city. On the northern wall, recreated from the original ruins, you can visit an audio-visual exhibition room.
Hours: Closed Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday (from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm), Thursday to Friday (from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm, and from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm), Saturday (from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm, and from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm) and Sunday (from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm).
Post Office Building
The construction of Logroño’s post office building began in 1927, although it was not officially inaugurated until 1932. It is a Neo-Baroque civil building, designed by the architect Agapito del Valle. It was built on the old convent of the Augustinians.
The Parliament of La Rioja is located in Logroño. It was built on the site of the convent of La Merced, which was mostly built during the 16th century. The building is surrounded by the wall and it was formerly one of the gateways to the city.
Throughout history, the building has had various uses. In 1820 it was used as a barracks, in 1830 as a military hospital, artillery park, warehouse and prison. Between 1847 and 1868, it was the home of the Carmelite nuns.
By means of a Royal Decree in 1868, the building was exchanged for a few plots of land and the property passed into the hands of Logroño’s city council. However, during the Carlist Wars, the city council lost ownership and it passed into military hands.
In 1866, when Spain’s Prime Minister was Práxedes Mateo Sagasta from Logroño, steps began to be taken to install a tobacco factory in these facilities that boosted Logroño’s economy. The factory operated for close to a century. In 1978, the property went back into the city council’s hands and was integrated into the recovery plan for the city’s old town.
Currently, the building is divided into three perfectly differentiated spaces. The central space, which is home to the Parliament of La Rioja, is where the church was once located. From the original structure, the cloisters still remain. Then there is the eastern area, where the convent area was located, and the west wing, where the Amós Salvador exhibition hall is found.
The pilgrim’s fountain is located just a few metres before reaching the access ramp to the church of Santiago, in Logroño. No one knows the exact date when the fountain was built, but we do know that it was restored in 1675.
The building is made of stone and consists of a diminished arch that’s bordered by two pilasters, frieze and pediment. Two spouts of fresh water come out of the fountain.
Church of Santiago
The church of Santiago is located in Logroño, the capital of La Rioja. Its origin dates back to the year 844, when Arcadio, a disciple of the Apostle Santiago, built the first church in his honour.
This first temple was expanded several times throughout history and it was finally destroyed by a fire in 1500. It was at this time when they started building the current temple.
The church’s portico presents diverse influences; however the Renaissance style is predominant. At the top, there are two representations of the temple’s patron. One corresponds to Saint James Matamoros and another to Santiago the Pilgrim.
The structure is composed of a nave and a 40-metre high tower, built in 1573. From up top, you can get a spectacular view of the city.
Inside, you can find an altarpiece depicting Saint James during the battle of Clavijo. You can also see an image of the Virgen de la Esperanza, patron saint of Logroño.
Hours: Open every day. From Monday to Sunday (from 8:15 am to 1:15 pm, and from 6:30 pm to 7:00 pm).
Mass hours: Weekdays (8:30 am, 12:00 pm and 7:30 pm), the eve of holidays (7:30 pm) and holidays (10:30 am, 12:30 pm and 7:30 pm).
Church of San Bartolomé
The church of San Bartolomé is the oldest church in Logroño. The building dates back to the 13th century and was built on the site of an old church. It was restored in the 15th century.
The building is constructed in ashlar masonry. It holds onto Romanesque elements such as the chevet and the bottom of the tower. Its pointed portal, which contains a few Romanesque sculptures, also has Gothic influences. The façade is characterised by a detailed iconography which depicts episodes from the life of Saint Bartholomew.
The tower, in a Mudéjar style, has a square floor plan. In ancient times, it was part of the city wall and its height rose as the city’s old quarter expanded. As a result, the different floors have different styles of influence.
The first two floors are made of ashlar masonry, like the church and the wall; the next two floors are made of stone and decorated with Mozarabic tiles. The tower was damaged by the French artillery in 1521 and was rebuilt in the 16th century using Mudéjar brick.
Mass schedule: From July to August, mass is held on weekdays (12:00 pm and 8:15 pm) and holidays (11:30 am, 12:30 pm and 8:30 pm). The rest of the year, mass is held on weekdays (12:00 pm, 1:15 pm and 8:15 pm) and holidays (11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 1:30 pm and 8:30 pm).
Church of Santa María del Palacio
The church of Santa María del Palacio was built on the site of an ancient temple founded by the Order of the Holy Sepulchre. Its construction dates back to the second half of the 12th century and combines Romanesque and Gothic styles. The Romanesque style belongs to the oldest part of the church and can be seen at the foot of the temple. The naves are in a Gothic style.
Of the church’s structure, we can point out the tower that is known as “the needle”. Its construction dates back to the 13th century and is formed by an octagonal base structure on trumpets that function as a support for the elegant pyramidal tower. On the lower part of the tower, sloping elements jut out on each of the eight sides, under which there are windows.
Over the years, the needle tower deteriorated, which led it to almost fall apart at the end of the 17th century. In 1750, a restoration was carried out that affected the entire architectural complex.
Inside the church, we can point out the altarpiece by Arnao de Bruselas. This altarpiece is the masterpiece of the Renaissance sculptor and dates back to 1553. The sculptor had to adapt his work to the central apse, which is characterised by being very tall and narrow.
The figure of God and the Assumption of Mary appear under the tympanum. The altarpiece also displays a sequence from the life of Jesus Christ: The Birth, The Last Supper, the Calvary and the encounter with the disciples of Emmaus.
The sculptor also included a large Tree of Jesse, with which he intended to refer to the genealogy of Jesus Christ. And we can also find the figures of Saint Paul, Saint Peter, Adam and Eve, and the Four Evangelists.
Hours: Open every day. From Monday to Sunday (from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm, and from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm).
Marqués de Murrieta Winery
The Marqués de Murrieta winery is located in Logroño. This project dates back to 1852 and was founded by Peruvian-born Luciano de Murrieta y Garcia-Lemoine. Since 1983, the Cebrián-Sagarriga family has been running the winery and its 300 hectares of vineyards.
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +34 941 271 374
Hours: Closed on Sundays. From Monday to Saturday, by appointment only.
Cost of guided tours: 25 euros
Darien is a winery in Logroño with an avant-garde style. Surrounded by vineyards, this winery uses advanced technology to produce modern wines.
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +34 941 25 81 30
Hours: Open every day. From Monday to Saturday (from 11:00 am to 5:00 pm) and Sundays (from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm). For guided tours, you must make a reservation in advance.
Guided visits: With a wine tasting (6 euros) and with four wines and hors d'oeuvres (15 euros).
Admission self-guided: 3 euros with a wine tasting.
La Rioja Museum
The La Rioja Museum has its headquarters in the Palace of Espartero, with its main façade looking out over the Plaza de San Agustín square, in Logroño. The building is built in a Baroque style and was used by General Espartero after retiring from politics. He lived here with his wife, Jacinta Martínez de Sicilia.
Inside the museum, there are paintings and sculptures from the 12th to 19th century and a wide range of ethnographic pieces, as well as samples of contemporary art.
Hours: Closed on Mondays. From Tuesday to Saturday (from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, and from 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm) and on Sundays and holidays (from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm).
Bridge of Mantible
The bridge of Mantible in Logroño is one of the old routes used to circumvent the Ebro River. The exact date of its construction is unknown. According to some historians, it dates back to the first half of the 2nd century, while others suggest it was built in the 11th century.
Historians who believe the bridge is from the 11th century claim that the bridge was built near the same time in which the Puente La Reina bridge was built, and that both were made to join the two most important cities of the Kingdom of Navarre: Pamplona and Nájera.
In its origins, the bridge had a length of 164 metres, a width of 5 metres and a height of 30 metres. The structure was formed by seven semicircular arches, only two of which stand relatively intact today. The two remaining arches are an example of the excellent quarry stone used in the bridge.
Campo Viejo Winery
Campo Viejo is a winery that opened its doors in 2001, after an extensive renovation. The objective of this project was to find a harmonious balance between winemaking and architecture, in order to guarantee its sustainability over the years.
The winery is currently at the forefront of the international wine market. Some wines like the Campo Viejo, Azpilicueta or Alcorta are living proof of this. This winery is the only one in La Rioja that has received the Q certification for Tourist Quality.
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +34 941 279 900
Hours for guided visits: Weekdays (10:30 am, 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm) and weekends (10:30 am and 1:00 pm).
Rioja Forum Conference Center
The Rioja Forum Conference Centre located in the Ribera Park in Logroño is the largest auditorium in the city, with the ability to host nearly 3,000 people. It was opened in 2004.
The building consists of three floors that include an auditorium, an exhibition hall and a banquet room. The installations were designed to host large-sale shows, as well as congresses and exhibitions.
The Würth Museum is located in the El Sequero industrial park in Logroño. The property belongs to the German Würth Group. In its facilities, it exhibits contemporary works of art by renowned authors, as well as museum collections owned by the company.
The building that houses the museum is avant-garde and has six thousand square metres, spread out over four floors and a rooftop terrace.
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: +34 941 010 410
Hours: Closed on Mondays. From Tuesday to Saturday (from 11:00 am to 8:00 pm) and on Sundays (from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm).
Marqués de Monasterio Palace
The Marqués de Monasterio palace is located in the Herrerías area in Logroño. The original building dates back to the 16th century and it was the home of Francisco de Tejada and his wife Inés de Sesma.
Laster on, Juan de Tejeda and his wife Leonor de Zuñiga expanded the home all the way to the church of San Bartolomé, with the building thus gaining more importance. In the 18th century, under the ownership of the Marquises of Monasterio, the expansion was demolished, and the palace was built as it can be seen today.
Throughout the 19th century, the house fell into decline. In the first decade of the 21st century, a restoration project was carried out.
La Granjera Park
The Granjera Park in Logroño covers more than four hundred hectares of land. There is a reservoir here that was built towards the end of the 19th century, on the site of what was once a small lake.
Hundreds of animal and plant species inhabit La Granjera. In the park you can can learn a lot about the animal and plant world thanks to its educational classroom and the bird observatory. From the observatory, you can see species such as the northern shoveler, the marsh harrier, herons or the mallard.
To the south of the park is the La Pila mountain, a magnificent viewpoint from where you can enjoy spectacular views of the city of Logroño.
Town Hall Square
The Town Hall Square in Logroño is very large and is presided over by the majestic façade of the Town Hall, made of sandstone. Our attention is drawn to the sculpture of our “Lady of the Fountain” that stands over a fountain, made of bronze and with two water spouts.
Bordering the square, there is a building designed by Rafael Moneo. Its construction began in 1974 and ended in 1980. The building was built on the site of old barracks and it was supposed to act as a link between the old and new city.
Puente de Hierro
The Puente de Hierro (iron bridge) was inaugurated in 1882. The bridge was designed by the engineer Fermín Manso de Zúñiga during a period in which it became incredibly common to use iron in engineering projects, hence the style of the bridge.
The project was launched during the mandate of the politician Práxedes Mateo Sagasta in Spain. Its construction required a large investment of public money, almost one million pesetas. However, it did considerably improve the city of Logroños’s trade connections with the northern part of the Iberian Peninsula, especially with the Basque Country.
The bridge has a length of 330 metres, divided into eleven sections, and a height of eight metres above the water level. The pillars are made of stone, with a circular shape and covered in iron.
Puente de Piedra
The Puente de Piedra (stone bridge) in Logroño is lined with houses that were built at the end of the 19th century in order to collect taxes from people who wanted to access the city and they also served as housing for the carabineers guarding the passageway.
In the past, there was another bridge in this exact spot that was demolished in 1871 by a flood. The current structure was designed by the engineer Fermín Manso de Zúñiga and dates back to 1884, although it was restored in 1917.
The bridge is one of the most emblematic symbols of Logroño and it has appeared on the city’s coat of arms since 1285.
In the Ontañón Winery in Logroño, you can follow the history of wine and the associated mythology. Like any good visit, it finishes with a wine tasting.
The space was designed by the Riojan artist Miguel Ángel Sáinz.
Telephone: +34 941 234 200 / +34 690 85 85 19
Hours: Open every day. From Monday to Saturday (from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, and from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm) and on Sundays (from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm).
Ruins of the Ancient Roman Town of Vareia
The ruins of the ancient Roman town of Vareia are located in Logroño and the majority date back to the 5th century, although some come from even earlier.
Among the ruins, we can find sections of homes where illustrious people from the empire once lived, some of which include: Pliny, Livy, Strabo or Ptolemy.
House of Mateo de Nuevas
The House of Mateo de Nuevas is located in Logroño and is the only architectural work in northern Spain related to the Inquisition. The building dates back to the 18th century.
Inside the dome, you can find a mural painting that reproduces the Inquisition’s coat of arms. On the ground floor, like most houses in the old part of town, there is an underground cellar.
Amós Salvador Exhibition Hall
The Amós Salvador exhibition hall in Logroño is located in one of the buildings that was formerly part of the tobacco factory. Every year, the contemporary works of painters, sculptors, photographers and other artistic disciplines pass through this hall.
Bretón de los Herreros Theatre
The Bretón de los Herreros Theatre is located on a pedestrian street in the centre of Logroño. Large-scale cultural shows take place in these rooms. The Amós Salvador exhibition hall and the Bretón Theatre are the two centres in the city that exhibit avant-garde art.
Its name comes from the fact that the theatre was inaugurated with a play by the playwright Manuel Bretón de los Herreros. In 1978, there was a huge fire in the theatre which resulted in considerable damage. However, it was still declared a Spanish Historic and Artistic Monument and the work to restore the theatre was carried out in 1986.
Important theatrical productions take place in this theatre every year, as well as film screenings and music concerts.
Marqués de Vargas Winery
The Marqués de Vargas Winery is located in the centre of the Pradolagar estate, near Logroño. It has a long history: in 1840, the 8th Marquis of Vargas, Felipe de la Mata, planted the first vineyards.
The winery, also known as “chateau”, grows three high-end red wines in a limited production: Hacienda Pradolagar, M. Vargas Reserva Privada and Marqués de Vargas Reserva. The winemaking is done with a selection of grapes that are grown in their own vineyards.
Paseo del Espolón
The Príncipe de Vergara, commonly known as the Paseo del Espolón, is the most emblematic square in Logroño. For many years this square was the geographical centre of the city, and it currently also represents the financial centre.
In the square you can see beautiful historical, administrative and financial buildings, in addition to pedestrian areas such as the Paseo de las Cien Tiendas or Laurel street, known for its food establishments. It also has historic monuments, the most remarkable of which is the monument to General Espartero, inaugurated in 1895.
This square is very popular among the locals. It’s common to find groups of people who meet up to enjoy the beautiful gardens at a relaxed pace