In Oviedo the Camino Primitivo, the oldest path of the Camino de Santiago begins, followed by Asturian king Alfonso II el Casto “The Chaste”. Some pilgrims will start their journey from Oviedo and others, already with a few kilometres already in their legs, will have followed the path of the Camino del Norte and have diverted onto the Camino Primitivo. Thank you all for choosing us to accompany your steps.
Let’s start the Camino Primitivo!
In this first stage we will advance on the footsteps of the monarch and all those who, from Leon, were diverted to Oviedo to pay homage to San Salvador. The day, with the exception of the departure from Oviedo, will pass through rural environments, through forests and small villages.
If you are thinking of doing the Camino de Santiago from Oviedo, tell us what your plans are for the Camino de Santiago, and we will contact you to advise you on everything that you need.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]
Itinerary stage Oviedo – Grado
The first stage of the Camino Primitivo has a route of 25.8 kilometres. Its profile presents frequent slopes, although the most prominent is the ascent to the Alto del Escamplero. A route that already reminds us that the Camino Primitivo is not exactly a stroll.
Oviedo (km. 0). Beginning of the Camino Primitivo.
Practical tips for this stretch: Oviedo is a beautiful city and deserves spending a full day visiting it. If you can plan your trip so you can count on a day, do so. Buen Camino!
The Camino Primitivo begins from the Cathedral of San Salvador de Oviedo. From there we take Calle Schultz on the left. If we follow this same street in the other direction, we will find the route of the Camino de Norte.
Following the bronze scallop shells that we will find on the ground, we turn right on Calle San Juan, and arrive on Calle Jovellanos. We cross it in front and take Calle La Luna. This is where we reach Calle Covadonga, which connects with Melquiades Alvarez.
It widens in Calle Independencia, where we go onto the avenue of the same name, which coincides with the N-634 road. We turn left and pass by the Asturias and Cervantes towers.
The yellow arrows lead us to Avenida Principe de Asturias, which flows into Calle Samuel Sanchez. The pilgrim path continues along Calle Arganosa, crossing the entire neighbourhood. When reaching the bar El Choque, we cross the FEVE railway track and we find the first marker of the Camino de Santiago (km. 2.5).
After crossing the tracks, the path is deflected to the right, by Calle I El Diacono, and then continues on the left, along Calle Jose Maria Fernandez Buelta. Another right turn leads us to Calle Illas, which flows into Avenida de la Florida.
After 300 metres we find a roundabout, with a bronze carving of Santiago. We pass next to a playground and continue along Calle Muros de Nalon. We go around a plot of land and go out onto a local road that, ascending, takes us to San Lazaro de Paniceres (km. 4.6).
San Lázaro de Paniceres (km. 4,6).
Practical tips for this stretch: In this section you will advance along a concrete track and, later, down a descent full of gullies. Pilgrims who do the Camino de Santiago by bicycle should pay special attention to this section. Buen Camino!
At this point, we have good views of Mount Naranco, where the churches of Santa Maria del Naranco and San Miguel de Lillo are located; and at its top, the sculpture of the Sagrado Corazon. We continue along the local road, leaving La Brana and Pachuca on our right.
Before we reach Las Campas, we find a detour to Villamar. Following a concrete track and surrounded by oaks and chestnut trees, we continue to Llampaxuga, where we are greeted by the Carmen Chapel (km. 7.1).
We leave the chapel behind and take a detour to the right to face a steep descent. We cross the Rego de la Huerta and arrive next to the La Pipera laundry, then climb to Llubrio.
Next, we arrive in the parish of Lloriana, where the Church of Santa Maria awaits us. From this place we go down again to the AS-232 road and enter La Bolguina (km. 8.8).
La Bolguina (km. 8,8).
Practical tips for this stretch: On this stretch you will complete the ascent to the Alto del Escamplero, take it easy so as not to strain your joints on the first day. Buen Camino!
Following the route of the AS-232 road, we climb again, heading to Fabarin. In this nucleus we leave the road and cross Puente Gallegos, which crosses the River Nora. We say goodbye to the municipality of Oviedo and enter the town of Las Regueras.
We return to the road; through which we cross the hamlet of Gallegos. Between kilometre points seven and eight, we find a detour on the right that leads to El Castaneu del Soldau.
Following a pleasant riverside path, flanked by huge chestnut trees, we arrive at the Quintos Mill (km. 11). From here we start a hard ascent that passes through Arroxos and exits onto the AS-232 road, a few metres before reaching the peak.
Leaving Casa Concha on our right, we take the detour on the AS-234 road that leads to Valsera and Santullano. So, we reach Alto del Escamplero (km. 12.7).
Escamplero (km. 12,7).
Practical tips for this stretch: The thermal baths of Santa Eulalia de Valduno are located 300 metres from the pilgrim path, you may want to deviate to visit them. Buen Camino!
We continue along the AS-234 road and before reaching kilometre point 1, we leave it on the left. On the descent, we return again to the road and enter Valsera, where we find at the foot of the route, the Chapel of Fatima (km. 13.8).
Past the temple we leave the road on an asphalt track that runs between meadows and limestone hills. In the vicinity of La Rabaza, we deviate by a path that begins on our left. The path leads to a road that leads us to Premono (km. 17), where we are greeted by the Chapel of Santa Ana.
We leave the road on the right and, following a path surrounded by oaks and chestnut trees, we descend to the Ardaje Valley, through which the La Llonga stream runs. We pass by the detour that leads to the Roman thermal baths of Santa Eulalia de Valduno, 300 metres from the road (km. 18.1).
Following a grassy path, we arrive at La Fuente, where the Alonso Pevida country house is located. We go out onto the road and follow it to the right, to quickly reach Paladin (km. 19.7).
Paladín (km. 19,7).
Practical tips for this stretch: Cheer up, just over an hour’s tour to go and you’ll have already completed the first stage. Buen Camino!
We cross over the road and cross the centre of Puerma. A few hundred metres later, we leave the asphalt on our left left and pass next to a house known as El Fornu. We cross the Xanas footbridge and on a riverside path we go onto the AS-234 road, on which we enter L’Arache (km. 22).
We continue and cross the Penaflor Bridge and leave for the N-634 road, by which we arrive at the Church of San Juan de Penaflor (km. 22.9) in the Council of Grado. At 250 metres we turn right and pass under the train tracks.
Following a path, we cross the Vega de Grado and enter Grado through the neighbourhood of San Pelayo, where we cross the tracks again. Behind these, we turn left on Calle Ferrocarril and then turn right along Calle del Puente.
We cross the River Cubia and continue along the main avenue. At the San Antonio Park, we leave the avenue on the left and arrive at Grado Town Hall.
Grado (km. 25,8). End of the stage
Practical tips for this stretch: Although you could continue to San Juan de Villapañada, Grado has more interest. Further, since this is the first stage and it is not appropriate to force the body, we prefer to reserve those remaining kilometres for the next stage. See you tomorrow!
Some pilgrims continue at this stage to San Juan de Villapañada, a village in the municipality of Grado. We prefer to reserve those three kilometres in ascent for tomorrow.
Comments on the stage Oviedo – Grado
Below we explain how to get to Oviedo, and give you some tips for the first stage of the Camino Primitivo.
Precautions on the stage Oviedo – Grado
Oviedo is very well connected to the main Spanish cities, both by train and bus. It is also possible to reach by bus from various European cities such as Switzerland, United Kingdom, France and Belgium.
The first stage of the Camino Primitivo already announces that this will not be a stroll. Today, the pilgrim will have to face various steep slopes.
The most prominent is the climb to the Alto del Escamplero that starts after the Gallegos Bridge. At first the climb is bearable, but then it gets tougher going up to the Quintos Mill.
Some sections have a rough surface, which can make it difficult for cyclists to go forward, they should take special care on the descents.
Finally, we would point out that at the end of the stage, you advance along two sections of road that do not have enough of a hard shoulder. At the entrance to L’Arache, by the AS-234 road, and in Penaflor, on the N-634, we must proceed with caution. This path should be avoided in bad light, unless reflective clothing is available.
Food on the stage Oviedo – Grado
During the first stage of the Camino Primitivo, you can taste some dishes of regional gastronomy. Here are some recommendations.
- Cabrales cheese
- Pria smoked cheese
- Chorizo stuffed bread rolls
- Asturian bean stew
- Hake in cider
- Asturian cider
- Muscovite biscuits
- Carbayon pastries
- Cachopo (breaded steak filled with ham and cheese)
- Scorpion fishcake
- Rice pudding
Services on the stage Oviedo – Grado
Get to know the main healthcare services, cafes, ATMs and restaurants that are located on this stage of the Camino Primitivo.
Map from Oviedo to Grado
Check the map with the route and locations that the stage runs through.
Profile from Oviedo to Grado
Find out about the profile, altitude and degree of difficulty on each section.
What to do on the stage Oviedo – Grado
Both in Oviedo and upon arrival in Grado, you will find many attractions. Below we provide you with information about each one of them.
Oviedo is the capital of the Principality of Asturias and the second largest population in the community, with almost 225,000 residents. The main monument of the city is the Cathedral of San Salvador, next to it the Camara Santa is located.
Other temples located in Oviedo are the churches of San Isidro, San Juan el Real, San Julian de los Prados; and a little further away from those of San Miguel de Lillo and Santa Maria de Narraco. You can also visit the monasteries of San Vicente and San Pelayo.
Oviedo has a rich heritage of civil architecture. Examples of them are the Casa de la Ruay, the palaces of Camposagrado, Valdecarzana and the Marquis of San Feliz. La Gasona is also a very popular spot in the city. In the vicinity of this street is the Fuente de Foncalada.
Campo de San Francisco and Capillin are green spaces where visitors can relax. Other places include the old hospice, the Casa Consistorial, the Congress Palace and the Fine Arts and Archaeological Museums.
San Salvador Cathedral
The Cathedral of San Salvador de Oviedo is also known as Sancta Ovetensis. Its construction began in the 13th century, although its construction did not end until the 17th century, at which time several chapels and an ambulatory were added.
The temple is Gothic in style, although given the long period of construction and the successive renovations, the cathedral presents pre-Romanesque elements, such as the Camara Santa; from the Romanesque period, such as the domes and the apostolate of the Camara Santa; and the Baroque, the ambulatory and some of the last chapels added.
Its 16th-century Gothic-style portico stands out in its exterior. It consists of three arches and three doors, with a ribbed vault. The central cover features bas-relief figures depicting Alfonso II El Casto and Fruela I.
The tower was built in 1508 and is also of Renaissance Gothic style. This one is divided into five floors. On the second, a clock is located, and on the last, the shield of the bishop of the city. The tower is famous for being named in La Regenta, the master work of Leopoldo Arias.
The bell tower is another of the most striking elements in the cathedral. It houses several bells. The best known is the bell named Wamba, because it is the oldest in the world that is still in operation. The other bells are known as Esquilon, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.
Inside, the temple has several chapels among the buttresses. The Chapel of Santa Barbara, from the 17th century and in baroque style, that of San Martín de Tours, from the 17th century also Baroque, that of San Roque, from the 16th, and the Chapels of San Antonio, the Holy Christ of Velarde and that of Santa Eulalia.
There is also the Camara Santa, a palatine chapel from the 9th century. The relics of the cathedral are preserved. Many of them were brought from Toledo, with the aim of saving them from Muslim devastation. The greatest treasures of this chapel are: the 11th-century Arca Santa, the Santo Sudario, the 12th-century Cristo Nicodemus, the Cruz de la Victoria, the Cruz de los Angeles and the Arca de las Agatas, among others.
The construction of the cloister was carried out in different phases, so it was extended from the year 1300 to 1441. This fact makes you appreciate elements of various architectural styles such as classical Gothic, on the north side, Mannerist Gothic, on the south side, flowery Gothic, on the east side, and baroque on the upper floor.
The Main Chapel is located in the apse of the cathedral and stands out for its stained glass windows, although today only the upper one can be appreciated, as it is hidden behind the altarpiece.
Opening times: Closed on Sundays. Open Monday to Saturday (10:00-14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00).
Mass times: Workdays (9:30 and 12:00), Saturdays and Eves (12:00 and 18:30) and Sundays (10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00 and 18:30).
Admission: General, with audio guide (7€), over 65 years and groups of more than 15 people (6€), children between 12 and 18 years old and university students (5€), pilgrims, unemployed and large families (4€).
Antiguo hospicio de Oviedo
The construction of the former hospice of Oviedo took place in 1752, at the wish of Isidoro Gil de Jaz. The building, declared of Cultural Interest, has a chapel divided into several floors. The construction, of great proportions, has a composition and wooden galleries reminiscent of the old squares of Castile.
Camara Santa de Oviedo
The Holy Chamber is attached to the Cathedral of Oviedo. The building dates from the 9th century and is of Asturian pre-Romanesque style. The construction was declared a World Heritage Site in 1998.
The chamber has two chapels, without communication between them: The Crypt of Santa Leocadia, located at the bottom, and the Chapel of San Miguel, in the upper. Inside the chapels stands the Holy Arch, the Agate Casket, the Victory Cross and The Cross of the Angels.
Hours: Closed on Sundays. Open Monday to Saturday (10:00-14:00 and from 16:00 to 19:00).
Admission: General (7€), retirees and groups of more than 15 (6€), schoolchildren from 12 to 18 years and university (5€), pilgrims, unemployed and large families (4€).
The Casa Consistorial in Oviedo is located in a building built in 1623, under the direction of Juan de Naveda. However, 30 years later, it underwent a major refurbishment which Marcos de Velasco took over. This refurbishment resulted in a two-storey building with a tower and seven arches.
In the 19th century the property was again expanded, this time by Pruneda and Canal. The result is the current classic-style building that we can observe today, with two porticoed wings of half-point arches and balconies divided by mouldings and pilasters. Shields and foundational inscriptions can be seen on the fronton of the building.
Casa de la Rua
Casa de la Rua is one of the oldest buildings in Oviedo. Its construction dates back to the 15th century and was made at the wish of Rodrigo de la Rua, to which it owes its name. In the 17th century, the Marquis of Santa Cruz de Marcenado acquired the property.
In the architecture of the property you can see a clear example of the constructive style during the Middle Ages. The first element of the construction was a tower, which was raised in the 14th century. It is currently integrated into the building.
In 1929 part of the house was rebuilt and an interior garden was added. Subsequently, in 2008, a comprehensive renovation of the property was carried out. Today, Casa de la Rua hosts celebrations of all kinds.
Church of San Isidro
The Church of San Isidro is located in the city of Oviedo. Previously, the temple housed the Church of San Matias, but in 1770 it was consecrated to San Isidro.
The church was built in the 16th century and is Baroque in style. It has a rectangular floor plan and consists of a single nave. It is divided into four sections, in which the side chapels are located. The sections are divided by carved pillars and are covered by barrel vaults. On the cruiser rises a vault resting on pendentives and the chancel has an edged vault.
Mass times: From 1st September to 30th June, workdays (11:00 and 20:00), eves (20:00) and public holidays (11:00, 12:00 and 13:00).
Monastery of San Vicente
The Monastery of San Vicente in Oviedo was declared an Artistic Historic Monument in 1962. Its construction dates back to 761, but throughout history it has been renovated on numerous occasions, so it has lost much of its medieval and Romanesque elements.
Inside you can see a cloister of Gothic-Renaissance style. It consists of two floors, on the ground, there are twenty arched vaults and the upper floor has columns of capitals and footings adorned with medals.
It also houses a pre-Romanesque altar with two baptismal fonts. One of them boasts of being one of the first in the Iberian Peninsula, it is ornate with floral motifs on the marble itself.
The remains of the Count of Norena and Gijon, Rodrigo Alvarez de Asturias, rest inside the monastery. His tomb, Gothic-Mudejar in style, is considered a work of art.
Museo de Bellas Artes
The Museum of Fine Arts in Oviedo is located next to the cathedral, distributed in four buildings, each specialized in an area. The Palace of Velarde exhibits the oldest collections, in the Casa de Oviedo, art from the 19th century. The Ampliacion Building houses contemporary works of the 20th and 21st centuries, and finally has a fourth building dedicated exclusively to the museum offices.
Hours: Closed on Mondays. It is open in summer, Tuesday to Saturday (10:30 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 20:00), Sundays and public holidays (10:30 to 14:30). In winter, Tuesday to Friday (10:30 to 14:00 and 16:30 to 20:30), Saturdays (from 11:30 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 20:00), Sundays and public holidays (from 10:30 to 14:30).
Fuente de Foncalada
Foncalada Fountain is located in the street of the same name, near the Gascona. It is a Romanesque construction from the 9th century, in very good condition, being one of the most important early-medieval monuments in Europe. Today it still shows its old spout. On this is the Victory Cross.
Church of San Juan El Real
The Church of San Juan El Real is the parish temple of Oviedo. It was declared a Minor Basilica, although its inhabitants also know it as the Ensanche Cathedral.
The temple was built between 1912 and 1915. Its structure has a Latin cross plan and consists of a nave and two side chapels. The complex has a dome resting on pendentives.
The main façade features a huge three-body window. Two towers rise to the sides. Highlights include the Gothic stained glass with the baroque images of the Dolorosa and a Christ tied to a column.
Mass times: Workdays (9:00, 13:00, 15:00 and 20:00), Saturdays and eves (13:00, 15:00, 18:00 and 20:00) and Sundays (9:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 19:00 and 20:00).
Church of St. Julian de los Prados
The Church of San Julian is located in the city of Oviedo. The temple, also known as Santullano, was built between the years 826 and 828, being, of the churches that are preserved from the pre-Romanesque era, the oldest.
During the years 1912 and 1915 the temple underwent a great renovation. During this, some of the elements were removed, the vaults were changed for wooden roofs and all the latticework was replaced, except that of the north apse, which still retains the originals.
During the renovation, murals were found under the whitewashing on its walls. Today they are the most important set of paintings of Asturias.
The church has a basilica floor plan formed by three naves, divided by arches on pillars. The central nave is the widest, in this is the clerestory with windows on the sides, covered in latticework.
Hours: Closed on Sundays. From 1st July to 30th September, it is open Monday (10:00 to 13:00), Tuesday to Friday (9:30 to 13:00 and from 16:00 to 18:00) and Saturday (9:30 to 12:30 and 16:00 to 18:00). From 1st May to 30th June, it is open Monday (10:00 to 12:30) and from Tuesday to Saturday (10:00 to 12:30 and from 16:00 to 18:00). From 1st October to 30th April, Monday to Saturday (10:00 to 12:00).
Price: General (2€), children (0,50€). First Monday of each month, free admission.
San Pelayo Monastery
The Monastery of San Pelayo is located in the heart of Oviedo and was founded in the Middle Ages by King Alonso II, The Chaste. It is the only Benedictine convent in Asturias that has remained standing until today.
The Monastery of San Pelayo acquired its name in 994, when the Benedictine nuns hosted the remains of Pelayo. He was 13 years old when, after being imprisoned in Cordoba, he was martyred for defending his faith in Christ.
Construction has undergone several renovations throughout history. The first was in 1650, with the tower of Melchor de Velasco, and the last in 1703, in which the façade of the Monastery was completely transformed.
La Gascona is a famous pedestrian street in Oviedo full of establishments where you can taste cider. These cider bars are also known as chigres. In addition to drinking the liquid gold from Asturias, you can also enjoy traditional gastronomy.
Museo Arqueologico de Asturias
The Archaeological Museum of Asturias has been located, since 1952, in the Monastery of San Vicente de Oviedo. Originally called the Museum of Antiquities, it was intended to preserve and disseminate the archaeological and architectural remains found in the monasteries of Asturias.
The convent building, where it is located today, dates back to the year 761, although in 1539 it was raised on top of the present one. In 1934 it was declared a National Monument.
The lower cloister of the Monastery has twenty Gothic trace vaults, in a simple star crossing. The centres of the vaults rest on ledges joined by a frieze of Renaissance influence. A style that can also be seen in the pilasters and half-point arches within the cloister garden.
Times: Closed on Monday and Tuesday. From Wednesday to Friday (9:30 to 20:00), Saturday (9:30 to 14:00 and from 17:00 to 20:00), Sundays and public holidays (9:30 to 15:00).
Palacio de Camposagrado
The Palacio de Camposagrado is located in Oviedo. Its construction was carried out in the 18th century, by the architects Pablo Fernandez Lorenzana and Domingo Suarez Solar, at the request of the Marques de Camposagrado.
The building has a square floor plan and is distributed around a covered central courtyard. There, a dozen columns of Tuscan style are found. Its construction was carried out in sandstone.
In the 1940s, the property suffered a fire and had to be renovated. In the works, the upper floor was modified and left open completely. Inside, the two stairs of the main entrances stand out, through which you access the upper galleries.
Palacio de Congresos de Oviedo
The Palacio de Congresos in Oviedo is housed in a building inaugurated in 2011 and designed by Santiago Calatrava. The property is ovoid shaped and consists of white steel arches, like many of this architect’s designs. The purpose of the palace is to disseminate and position the city of Oviedo as a destination for congresses and businesses.
Campo de San Francisco
Campo de San Francisco de Oviedo is a park linked to a Franciscan convent. It was originally like a small forest, but in 1816, it was transformed into a botanical garden.
In this space are more than 127 different species of trees and shrubs. The highlight is a huge oak tree, known as Carbayón de Oviedo, from which comes the nickname of the inhabitants of the city, “Carballones”.
Palacio de Valdecarzana
The Palacio de Valdecarzana is located in the city of Oviedo. The building was built between 1627 and 1629, by Diego de Miranda. The mansion has an Asturian Baroque style, with classicist inspiration.
The construction stands out for the sobriety and the modest decoration of its façade. It was surrounded by four four-storey towers, but currently, only the northwest tower is preserved.
The façade is divided into three floors. The main door is framed by pilasters on which rests an ornamental frieze and a balcony, on which you can appreciate the shield of the Miranda family lineage.
At the end of the 18th century, the Heredia family reformed the palace. In the remodeling, a southern Baroque-style façade was added. It also consists of three floors. The entrance door has pilasters with cushioned casing.
Palacio del Marques de San Feliz
The Palacio del Marques de San Feliz is located in the city of Oviedo and is also known as Palacio del Duque del Parque. The construction was carried out between the 17th and 18th centuries and is Baroque in style. The building is made of sandstone. Of its two façades, the ornamental composition which looks over the square stands out.
Church of San Miguel de Lillo
The Church of San Miguel de Lillo is located in Oviedo and was listed as a World Heritage Site in 1985. The temple preserves the portico and parts of the original nave in the church, which were recovered after its collapse.
Its structure consists of three naves separated from each other by columns, the supports are decorated with evangelist elements and in part of the capital you can see Byzantine and North African elements.
Hours: April to September, Tuesday to Saturday (9:30 to 13:00 and 15:30 to 19:00), Sundays and Mondays (9:30 to 13:00). From October to March, Tuesday to Saturday (10:00 to 14:30) and Sunday and Monday (10:00 to 12:30).
Admission: General (3€), children from 8 to 14 years old (2€), groups of more than 20 people (2€). On Mondays admission is free, but does not include a guide.
Church of Santa Maria de Naranco
The Church of Santa Maria del Naranco is located in Oviedo and, together with the Church of Miguel de Lillo, was declared a World Heritage Site in 1985.
The temple presents a construction structure typical of the pre-Romanesque buildings in the region, similar to that which appears in the Holy Chamber. It stands out for its dimensions and for its sculptural ornamentation, integrated, in most cases, within the structure of the building itself.
Hours: April to September, Tuesday to Saturday (9:30 to 13:00 and 15:30 to 19:00), Sundays and Mondays (9:30 to 13:00). From October to March, Tuesday to Saturday (10:00 to 14:30), Sundays and Mondays (10:00 to 12:30).
Admission: General (3€), children from 8 to 14 years old (2€), groups of people over 20 (2€). On Mondays admission is free.
Campillin is located in the heart of Oviedo. It is a green space created after the Spanish Civil War that occupies an area of more than 12,000 square metres.
In this park, there is a wide variety of tree species, among them stands out the presence of the olive tree, which symbolizes the Jewish people’s encounter with the city. It also highlights its rich sculptural decoration, such as the monument to Simon Bolivar or Ramon Perez de Ayala.
Grado is a small town of just over 10,000 inhabitants, however, it has always been a nucleus of great importance in the Asturian community, as it was a place of obligatory passage for those pilgrims who were heading to the city to visit San Salvador.
Although after the popularization of the Camino de Santiago, new layouts began to be used, much simpler and safer than the Camino Primitivo, many of the pilgrims diverted to visit the Cathedral of Oviedo, passing through this locality, following the saying: “He who visits Santiago and not Salvador, honours the servant and leaves the Lord”.
In Grado you can visit the Church of San Pedro and the Chapel of los Dolores. Examples of civil architecture include the Casa Consistorial, the Casa de los Fernando Miranda, the Palacete Velazquez, the Palace of the Martinez family, the Palacio de los Casares, along with the Indalecio Corujedo and Miranda Valdecarzana mansions
Capilla de los Dolores
The Chapel of Sorrows in Grado was built in 1717, by the architect Francisco de la Riva Ladron de Guevara. The work was carried out under the mandate of the third Marquis of Valdecarzana.
The temple has one of the most valuable Baroque chapels in the Asturian community. It is made of grey and pink limestone, which gives it chromatic beauty.
Its structure is rectangular in plan and consists of a single nave, separated into three sections. The front body is covered by a dome that rests on pendentives and the other two by half-point vaults.
The Casa Consistorial in Grado began to be built in 1848, on a previous building of smaller size. During the 19th and 20th centuries the property underwent numerous reforms that substantially changed its original appearance.
The building has a rectangular floor plan and three heights. On the right side is a tower where the clock is located. It was added in 1866 and was built with an iron frame.
Casa de los Fernandez Miranda
Casa de los Fernandez Miranda is located in Plaza General Ponte, Grado. The house was erected at the end of the 18th century and its architectural style combined Baroque and neoclassical elements. The property has a square floor plan and is composed of three floors.
The Palacete Velazquez, in Grado, is also known as the Capitolio or the Chalet de Campo. Its construction was carried out in the 19th century, at the wish of Manuel Velazquez, an Indiano who emigrated to Santo Domingo.
The design of the house is the work of the architect Juan Miguel de la Guardia. Its structure has a square floor plan, two floors, attic and a tower, of four heights. On the main façade you can see an Ionian portico which is accessed by a staircase. The side walls have huge spans, giving it the appearance of a gallery.
Church of San Pedro
The Church of San Pedro in Grado was built in 1884, and was designed by Lucas Maria Palacios. The temple combines elements of Romanesque with Gothic.
Its structure consists of three naves, transept and triple chancel. During the Civil War, the church suffered a large fire that caused extensive damage to its interior and destroyed the left tower, which was later re-built.
Inside, the church houses several altarpieces, including the one of the Pure Conception, donated by the first Marquis de la Vega de Anzo.
Palacete de la Familia Martinez
The Palacete de la Familia Martinez is located in Grado. Its construction was carried out in the 19th century and was designed by Juan Miguel de Guardia, for Manuel Martínez Garcia, an Indiano who emigrated to Cuba.
The property highlights the rich decoration. Its structure has a square floor plan and is arranged in an H-shape, with two side sections of three floors and one central of two, where the access to the mansion is located.
From the interior of the property stands a staircase made of stone that gives access to the lobby. In the 20th century, its owner ordered the construction of a set of small houses, located in a part of the orchard, which constitute an example of workers’ homes of the time.
Palacete de los Casares
Palacete de los Casares is located in Calle Cimadevilla de Grado. Its construction was carried out in the late 1890s. One of its façades borders the street while the others are surrounded by fences and walls, forming a small garden, transformed into a terminus.
The building has a square floor plan and consists of two floors. On the ground floor it is appreciated that the corners and spans are made of stone, while the rest of the construction is whitewashed and painted.
Palacio de Indalecio Corujedo
The Palace of Indalecio Corujedo is located in Grado. Its construction was carried out in 1890, at the wish of the Indiano, Juan Fernandez Bao, who finally gave the building to his father-in-law, Indalecio Corujedo.
The works were directed by the architect Juan Miguel de la Guardia, who reflected French influences in its design, combining it with elements of other architectural styles. Its structure consists of a rectangular floor, two floors and has a small garden, in which is located the house in which the family’s driver lived.
Palacio de Miranda Valdecarzana
The Palacio de Miranda Valdecarzana is located in the centre of Grado. Its construction dates back to the 15th century, although in the 18th century it was completely remodelled. The building has a cubic shape and is distributed around a large central courtyard. In each of its corners rises towers of three floors.
Throughout history, the palace has had various uses. In the 19th century it was used as a barracks for Napoleonic troops. Later, in the 20th century, it was the headquarters of the Tax office, and was later used as a Civil Guard Barracks. Currently on the premises is the town’s Cultural centre.
- Go to >>> Stage 2 on the Camino Primitivo